10.07.2008

Concentrating on Christ FIRST in ALL of Our Daily Activities

Good evening friends in Christ,

I love today's Gospel about Jesus visiting Martha and Mary. We read that Martha was busy, busy, busy preparing refreshments for our Lord, while Mary is quiet and still while listening to our Lord's teaching. Martha's busy-ness distracted her from what needed to be first and foremost in her life -- to be constantly connected and focused on our Lord Jesus Christ.

This is SO HARD FOR ME TO DO !!! This reading is such a wonderful reminder for me to put FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!

Fernandez asks us (In Conversation with God, Tuesday, 27th Week in Ordinary Time):

  • How can my work, whatever that may be, make any sense if I fail to connect with God?
  • All of life's ORDINARY TRIALS, chores, duties, activities can be made into occasions to meet God!
  • Do you and I lead 'double-lives' where there is one part of our life apart from God and then at other times (such as Mass, evening prayer, etc.) where we live a different life with God?
  • I need to have UNITY in all of my actions while contemplating and dialogueing with my Lord, just like Mary did!
  • Do I think of Jesus from the moment I wake up in the morning until I fall asleep under His protection?
  • With Jesus by my side every moment of the day, I am such a better person, citizen, wife, friend, mother, daughter, sister, relative, neighbor, and co-worker.
  • With my Jesus as my PRIMARY FOCUS during my day, I work better at whatever is at hand before me.
  • PLUS . . . and here's a fantastic bonus: When I think of Jesus, I stop thinking of the things of this world. . . the economy, politics, my retirement in the stock market, my weight, the dust in the house (that never fails to continue to come back!!!!).

Pope John Paul II said that "Every area of the lay faithful's lives, as different as they are, enters into the plan of God who desires that these areas be the PLACES IN TIME where the love of Christ is revealed and realized for the GLORY OF THE FATHER. . . . EVERY activity, situation, responsibility . . . are occasions ORDAINED BY PROVIDENCE for a continuous exercise of faith, hope, and charity.

John Paul II, Apostolic Exhortation, 1988

So, I resolve to put our Lord and Heavenly Father at the front of my mind, heart and soul each and every day. Anything that separates me from this goal is SECONDARY. Otherwise, I invite disorder and temptation to sin in my life.

At these trying times in America, you and I need to remember:

  • ONLY ONE THING IS NEEDED!
  • SEEK FIRST HIS KINGDOM!
  • KEEP OUR EYES ON CHRIST!
  • NEVER, NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF OUR LORD WHILE WE STRUGGLE IN OUR DAILY WORK!

I know that I am weak and that I forget continually. But through prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, I am hopeful to improve for His Glory.

Many blessings to you,

Your blogging friend,

~ Bella

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments: