1.16.2009

Beginning a New Semester of Teaching: In Honor of St. Thomas Acquinas - Patron Saint of Universities & Students

My dear friends in Christ,

I have just completed the first week of the spring semester at the university where I teach and I felt compelled to re-publish a previous post of mine regarding the upcoming celebratory day in which we honor St. Thomas Aquinas, one of our patron saints of universities, teachers, and education. I pray that he and all the saints intercede to our Lord to help me and all educators in our efforts and endeavors of our vocation to educate and help His children here on earth.

January 28th - Feast Day of St. Thomas Aquinas

Priest, doctor of the Church, patron saint of all universities and students.
Author of Summa Theologica (unfinished).


St Thomas Aquinas: Prayer for Guidance

O creator past all telling,
you have appointed from the treasures of your wisdom
the hierarchies of angels,
disposing them in wondrous order above the bright heavens,
and have so beautifully set out all parts of the universe.
You we call the true fount of wisdom and the noble origin of all things.
Be pleased to shed on the darkness of mind in which I was born,
The twofold beam of your light and warmth to dispel my ignorance and sin.
You make eloquent the tongues of children.
Then instruct my speech and touch my lips with graciousness.
Make me keen to understand, quick to learn,able to remember;
make me delicate to interpret and ready to speak.
Guide my going in and going forward,
lead home my going forth.
You are true God and true man,
and live for ever and ever.
Amen

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:4-5
..
.

A Student's Prayer

Creator of all things,
true source of light and wisdom,
origin of all being,
graciously let a ray of your light penetrate
the darkness of my understanding.
Take from me the double darkness in which I have been born,
an obscurity of sin and ignorance.
Give me a keen understanding,a retentive memory,
and the ability to grasp things correctly and fundamentally.
Grant me the talent of being exact in my explanations
and the ability to express myself with thoroughness and charm.
Point out the beginning,direct the progress,and help in the completion.
I ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.


St. Thomas Aquinas 1225 - 1274

No comments: